SIS-E Olympics: Defend Your Case And Win!
SUBMISSION IS CLOSED
6 Reasons to Attend SIS-E Olympics
- Present your case and defend it in the SIS-E 2017 workshop
- Six cases will be selected for presentation
- Attend the workshop, discuss and learn…it’s free for Congress Delegates!
- The first price (Gold medal) will be a publication for free (worth 500$). The 2nd and 3rd prize will receive a surgical handbook.
- The case will be published in the Journal “Surgical Infections Case Reports”.
- If your case is not selected, don’t worry! Please come to the workshop and join us. All attendees will receive a certificate of participation (CME credits)
The aim of this interactive case-based workshop is to help students, residents and young surgeons to better understand the physiopathology, diagnosis and treatment of infection in surgical patients.
a. Update on main subjects on surgical infections, that will have a direct application in your daily clinical practice.
b. Improve skills of presentation, discussion and oral communication by a chaired discussion of real-life case-settings.
Participants & Chairs
- You can participate if you are a medical student, resident or young surgeon with a special interest in surgical infections.
- The workshop session will be chaired by members of the SIS-E Educational Committee and the Council. These experts will energize and encourage the case discussions and highlight important topics and take-home messages.
After a brief introduction by the chairs, six clinical cases will be presented and discussed. Each presenter will have 10 minutes to present the case (in power point slides) and highlight key steps to diagnosis, treatment and specific aspects related to infection.
All participants will be free to ask questions or comments on alternative treatment options. Key aspects of each case and take-home messages will be highlighted by the chairs.
The workshop is free to attend for Congress delegates!! We welcome Non-Congress delegates to participate also, please register for €20 via the Congress Registration page.
You will be asked to confirm attendance prior to the workshop in order to organize logistics, venue and coffee break by 10th May 2017.
During the workshop, the 6 presented cases will be evaluated by the chairs, considering quality of the oral presentation, adequacy to time (10 minutes) and participation in the active discussion.
The best presenter will be awarded with free publication of the case report (worth 500$) in the Journal of Surgical Infections Case Reports. The authors will have some extra time to adapt the case to the Journal’s requirements for publication (The submission should have an abstract and the text should not exceed 1500 words, not counting abstract and references. No more than 10-12 references. There may be up to 4 tables or figures.)
Members of the SIS-E Council will act as reviewers to guarantee the case is up to the journal’s standards.
The 2nd and 3rd best cases will also have a prize! The presenters will receive a surgical handbook (worth 100$)
All attendees to the workshop will receive a certificate of attendance by email.
A minimum of 10 attendees to the workshop will be necessary for prizes to be considered.
When: The workshop and case presentations will take place in Hamburg in the afternoon of the 7th of June 2017, prior to the beginning of the 30th Annual SIS-E Congress.
Venue: Congress Venue, Gruner & Jahr.
Time schedule: 3-hour workshop, with 1 coffee-break
|16:00 – 16:15|| Welcome and Presentation
Dr. I. Rubio-Perez, Dr. X. Guirao, members of the SIS-E Council.
|16:15 – 18:30||Presentation and discussion of the 6 best cases on surgical infections|
|16:15 – 17:15|| Cases 1 – 4 Discussion
From the doors of death to new life: the importance of infection control
Transanal endoscopic operation (TEO) based drainage of postoperative pouch of Douglas abscess
Taking a deeper look. Laparoscopic management of deep surgical site infection sepsis secondary to uterine scar abscess.
A combined surgical and endoscopic approach for bilateral hepatolithiasis causing recurrent cholangitis: Report of a case
|17:15 – 17:30||Coffee Break|
|17:30 – 18:30|| Cases 4 – 7 Discussion
Not just a complicated cholecystitis…beware of risk factors!
Necrotizing Abdominal Fasciitis in a Diabetes debut
Melero Gas In The Liver, Gas In The Abdomen, Gas Everywhere
|18:30 – 18:45||Evaluation survey (feedback) & Closing Remarks|
|18:45 – 19:00||Selection of the best 3 cases. Prize Giving|
- Registered Congress Delegates: Free (Please choose the option to attend during the registration process)
- Non-Congress Delegates: €20 (Please register via the link below)
- Case report submission deadline: 8 March 2017 (Closed)
- Notification of acceptance to presenters: March 2017
Please note that if a minimum of participants is not confirmed 2 weeks prior to the workshop date, the organizing committee may decide to cancel the event. Please confirm attendance as soon as possible by registering.